Saturday, October 16, 2010

My Own Amazing Race - 4th Pitstop - Aix-en-Provence

After a very early morning flight out of London Gatwick to Marseille France I made my way to Aix-en-Provence.  The first thing you see when you get off the bus in Aix is the most beautiful fountain.  Is that not welcoming or what!  Aix is filled with fountains.
Once settled into Aix I met up with a friend from college and we stayed in Aix until Thursday.  After a nice lunch in Aix we explored the town.  Such an awesome place.  The streets are so charming filled with an abundance of boutiques, boulangeries, and cafes.  The main street (Cours Mirabou) is called the mini Champs Elysees and it really does look like a mini Paris!

On Tuesday we took a Paul Cezanne Tour.  Throughout the day we explored three Cezanne sites to understand the artist and his art.  We went to the quarries of Bibemus where he began painting wonderful landscaped scenes. 

We also went to his family home (Jas de Bouffan) and finished the day at his studio (Lauves).  It was a day that really reminded us of Humanities at SAC because it was a day filled with examining art and understanding the artist.  In between our different sites we had the most amazing crepes I have ever had in my life.  Before my experience at Crepes a Go Go I thought my favorite crepes were from the creperie directly across from Notre Dame in Paris but Crepes a Go Go in Aix surpasses any crepe I have ever had.  I was in Aix four days and I ate at Crepes a Go Go three times!!!  I ate sweet and savory crepes but the best crepe was the Chocolate Almond Crepe and I would do anything for one of them right now!

On Wednesday we took a day trip to Marseille.  We took a three and a half hour boat cruise and explored the Calanques.  After that we went to see the most grandest church I have ever seen - Notre Dame de Marseille.



After another great city with another great friend and one more crepe from Crepes a Go Go it was time to make my way back to Paris via the TGV on Thursday afternoon.  So sad that my trip was nearing a completion but had the most amazing time visiting old and new places with great friends!






No comments:

Post a Comment