Thursday, October 14, 2010

My Own Amazing Race - 2nd Pitstop - French Riviera

The French Riviera is filled with breathtaking views.  I spent five days based in Nice at Hotel Villa Rivoli.  It was such a quaint European hotel less than three blocks from the beach with a beautiful garden.  The staff was just so pleasant - I can't wait to go back. 

After arriving in Nice via Air France I spent the day wandering around New Nice and getting my bearings.  I also spent some time on the beach - laying on the famous Nice pebbles was quite uncomfortable - but I can say I did it.

Day 2 in Nice was a bit cloudy with a few showers here and there so I took the Nice Touristique Train which brings you on a tour of old Nice.  I also explored all of the windy streets of Old Nice enjoying the abundance of provencal stores. I went to a traditional Nice Market where there were the most beautiful flower arrangements for sale.  They also had tables selling everything from fish to candles and socks.  And to keep out of the showers I went to a bunch of old beautiful churches.  When the showers finally stopped I took a nice long walk along the Promenade d'Anglais and spent some time in the famous Nice Garden - Jardin d'Albert 1st.



 On Wednesday I took a guided tour to Eze, Monaco, and Monte Carlo.  My tour guide (Yakson) picked me up outside my hotel and myself and three individuals from Turkey were on our way to Eze.  We stopped at the famous picturesque VilleFranche to take in the gorgeous views.  Yakson insisted on taking my camera and snapping all sorts of pictures of me.  He said he always feels bad for single travelers because they are never in any photos from their vacation so there began my photo shoot in France. He was my personal photographer for the day. After VilleFrance we went to Fragonard - a  perfume factory for a guided tour.  Then we went to medieval Eze and had time to explore the medieval miniature city.  Then it was on to Monaco!  The views of Monaco were exquisite - yacht after yacht and expensive car after expensive car every way you turned.  There was of course the changing of the guard at the royal palace but as we know I think changing of the guard ceremonies are silly.  Hundreds of people fifteen rows deep with their cameras in the air snapping shots of guards walking back and forth???? Not my thing  - so I spent some quiet time in the cathedral in Monaco before we went off to Monte Carlo.  And I thought Monaco was money - Monte Carlo was amazing.  There wasn't a blade of grass out of place as we took in the sights of the casino and expensive stores.  After a few more pictures by my photographer we made our way back to Nice.  On the car ride back he insisted on speaking French with me so I could practice.  He was a great tour guide - very knowledgeable and definitely looking for a really good tip!  



It was a beautiful afternoon when we got back so I decided I'd spend some more time on the beach.  The private beach clubs offer comfortable lounge chairs to reserve for 18 euro a day so I decided to splurge.  However, I got a great deal as it was after 3pm and my hotel partnered with Neptune Plage so I got a chair for 10 euro! 

On Thursday I spent the entire day on the plage in a comfy lounge chair taking in the salty smell of the Mediterranean and the sound of the small waves crashing on the rocks at the shore line.  I had my lunch delivered to me on the beach - it was a truly perfect day as I was there for over eight hours!

My flight to London Friday night wasn't until 6 at night so I knew I had the better part of the day to spend on the beach before making my way to the airport.  So I was at Neptune Plage in a comfy lounge chair by 9am and stayed until the last second I could.  I even managed to squeeze in a  reflexology appointment on the beach before going to the airport with the smell of suntan lotion still on my skin.  I was sad to leave Nice because I truly loved everything it had to offer but was looking forward to spending the weekend in London with Kelsey and Ben - a chance to eat a meal with someone!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment