| Baseball Diamond at the SCG |
Baseball was born in Hoboken New Jersey. On June 9th, 1846 the first organized baseball
game was officially played in Hoboken. I
have loved baseball since I was five. I
remember my very first major league baseball game. My mom was waitressing and my dad and I dropped
my sister off at my aunt’s house and my dad and I were on our way to Philadelphia. We went to the old Veterans Stadium on the
corner of Broad Street and Pattison Avenue to see the Phillies. From then on we went to a few games a year. We also toured the baseball stadiums of the
east coast – Fenway, Camden Yards, Yankee Stadium, and Shea Stadium to name a
few.
1993 was a big year for us in baseball. In the summer we went to Cooperstown, the
baseball hall of fame. And that October
the Phillies were in the World Series so I was lucky enough to see them play
the Blue Jays in game 3 in Philadelphia.
Another big baseball moment in my life was seeing the Red Sox win the
World Series in 2004 in Red Sox Nation ending an 86 year curse. I was also lucky enough to see a Red Sox vs
Yankee game at Yankee Stadium with my good friend Dan which is quite possibly one of the best sports
rivalries to watch.
By moving to Australia I have deprived myself from the
classic American game. I miss seeing
games but thanks to friends, family, and espn.com I can keep up to date with
the standings. But in March 2014 Major
League Baseball debuted down under and I finally got to see a live game.
| Stars and Stripes - National Anthem at the SCG |
They transformed the Sydney Cricket Ground into a baseball
diamond and the games played between the Dodgers and Diamondbacks counted
towards the 2014 standings. The game was
great – there were homeruns, attempted steals, great catches, and great
pitching. Overall it was a great taste
of home since they even sang the National Anthem and Take Me Out to the
Ballgame for the 7th inning stretch.
| Bruce - February 2014 Olympic Stadium in Sydney |
| Auckland Night 1 |
Bruce Springsteen is a New Jersey native who continues to
grace the Southern Hemisphere with his presence. In the past 12 months I have seen five of his
shows in two countries. All three Sydney
shows and the two Auckland New Zealand were spectacular and unique. He always switches up the set list so between
all five shows I got a variety of 67 different songs. Some songs were only played once but then
there were some classics and fan favorites that made every show. I would have to say that the first night in
Auckland was by far the best show ever – the energy, the song selection, the
outdoor venue – it was perfect.
It’s always nice to have these little tastes of home between
visits home to remind a Jersey Girl of her roots.
No comments:
Post a Comment