Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanksgiving Down Under



Beautiful table setting for Thanksgiving #1

Thanksgiving is typically a day spent with family.  However for expats living abroad your friends become your family.  And to make sure everyone has a great holiday there was not one but two delicious feasts.  Everyone contributes a dish to make each day extra special.  Whether the dishes were family favorites or new kitchen adventures not one dish disappointed.  






Our first Thanksgiving was on the actual day which I think we have all agreed that working on the actual holiday is not fun.  Going to work on Memorial Day or Labor Day isn’t that big of a deal -  but Thanksgiving is a different story which is why we make it a point to have a large dinner after work to celebrate.  Josh hosted the first feast in the eastern suburbs.   The extra long table was decorated with turkey décor but there was still plenty of space for all the dishes.  We had all of the American traditions of turkey, stuffing, potatoes, vegetables, corn bread, and pumpkin pie.  And to give our feast a twist we had some Australian traditions as well – kangaroo, lamingtons, and pavlova!  It was a fantastic dinner with leftovers for all.  Leftovers were on the menu for lunch at work on Black Friday to make going to work on another day we typically have off just a little easier.  The first feast  was simply delightful :)

Thanksgiving Night
The second feast was at Balmoral Beach on Saturday hosted by Mandy and Eric.  Stunning views, more delicious food, and good fun!  The lunch time feast of turkey, stuffing, potatoes, vegetables, corn pudding, mac & cheese, apple pie and pumpkin pie continued well into the evening.  Following lunch and lounging in the sun there was beach football and then my favorite- beach cricket! I only wish I learned I was a "lefty" for batting 20 years ago - then I may have actually been a semi-decent softball player!  Rather I struck out pretty much every at bat for countless games!  And now I at least make some contact - who knew I was lefty for sports!

Going to work on the actual holiday is definitely made easier by having two fantastic feasts with friends.  And to make it even better when the final feast ends with a sunset on the beach you realize just how lucky and thankful you are to be in this beautiful country surrounded by special friends who become your family away from America.  

Photos courtesy of Josh and Emily.

No comments:

Post a Comment