Saturday, July 9, 2011

From Summer to Winter in about 30 hours

I left for my new adventure to Sydney Australia on the 4th of July.  I left behind the bennies and the hot summer sun of the Jersey Shore.  My flight from Newark to San Francisco California was an uneventful 6 hour trip.  For the next 4 hours I walked around the international terminal of the San Fran airport to stretch my legs before boarding the long haul 15 hour flight to Sydney.  Luckily the flight to Sydney was quite light and I got a whole row to myself.  After all of this flying and crossing the international date line I landed in Australia on July 6th in the middle of winter.  After clearing customs and quarrantine and meeting my coworker and roommate we were on route to our new home in Wollstonecraft, a northern suburb of Sydney.



We settled in and headed out for the basic staples of life.  First on our list were cell phones and internet so we could be connected to the world as international roaming charges on the BlackBerry were going to be too expensive.  The cell phones were a step back in time - we left the world of smart phones to old fashion Nokia slide phones that can text and call. 

After an afternoon of unpacking and long flights it was an early night to try and adjust to the time zone and new season of winter which I was unprepared for which resulted in winter clothes shopping a few days later....

No comments:

Post a Comment