This past weekend I went to Kangaroo Island (details to follow later). Kangaroo Island is an Island in the state of South Australia, about 3 hours south of Adelaide, the capital of South Australia. My weekend involved three flights, over three days, on three different airline carriers for a spectacular weekend!
In order to get to Kangaroo Island from Sydney I took a bus from my home to the center of Sydney. Then I took a train to the airport which was quite simple. Not having flown domestically in Australia, I decided to get to the Sydney Domestic Airport an hour and a half before my flight since that is what we are accustomed to at home. Well I clearly did not need that much time.
When I got to the airport, I printed my boarding pass for my Quantas flight right from a self service kiosk. I proceeded to security, where there was no line. It was pouring rain Friday night, so I still had my jacket and scarf on. I did not have to remove them for security. I also did not have to take off my shoes. Additionally, no one cared about the sizes of the liquids I was carrying in my carryon so I just left them in my bag and I didn't have to pull them out. And the craziest part, was that no one ever looked at my ID or my boarding pass at security. Since security took me all of 35 seconds, I now had a lot of time to hang out in the airport. When it was time to board, the gate attendant, did scan my boarding pass , so that was the closest airport experience to home so far. Our flight was slightly delayed due to the torrential rains in Sydney and the gate attendant, the pilots, and the flight attendants all apologized numerous times - much nicer than EWR!
My Quantas flight got me to Adelaide late on Friday night and my flight to Kangaroo Island was early Saturday morning. My flight to Kangaroo Island was on Regional Express. Since this was a different carrier and a different airport, I decided to get to the airport a little over an hour before my flight, just to be sure. Once again, I experienced the same security measures, or lack there of. The best part, was that my flight from Adelaide to Kangaroo Island was only 20 minutes so I could see the beautiful landscape and water for the entire flight.
After an amazing weekend on Kangaroo Island we took the ferry back to the main land of South Australia. After the hour ferry ride, we had about a two hour drive from Cape Jervis to Adelaide for my flight back to Sydney on Jetstar. Once again, the same lack of security measures were in place so I had plenty of time to waste in the airport. Not sure how I feel about the lack of security, but I guess it just means that Australia is a safe place according to authorities. After landing in Sydney, I took a train back home-so my Sunday was complete with planes, trains, automobiles, and ferries and no one ever looking at my ID - so weird!
No comments:
Post a Comment